Recently, we found ourselves with an abundance of big, delicious, organic beets…and nothing to do with them. Usually my husband puts them in his daily veggie mix, but lately he hasn’t been making his usual stuff. Hence, the large stash of beets! Hmm…What to do with them? Why, dice ’em and roast ’em, of course! They turned out super yum, and even the kids couldn’t get enough! Here’s how I did it.
- 2 lbs Red and/or Gold Beets, peeled and cut into small cubes
- 4 TBSP Olive Oil
- 1/3 cup Water
- Juice from 1 Orange
- Juice from 2 small Limes
- 1/3 tsp Salt
- 1/4 cup Cilantro, chopped
- Preheat oven to 450.
- Rub beet cubes with 2 TBSP olive oil, and place in an oven safe baking dish or pan.
- Add 1/3 cup water to pan. Cover and bake for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, gently toss partially cooked beets; cover again and bake for about 20 more minutes, or until a sharp knife can be easily inserted into beet cubes.
- While beets are cooling, use a large bowl to mix 2 TBSP olive oil, juice from the orange and limes, salt, and cilantro.
- Add beets to bowl, and toss evenly to coat all the beet cubes in the dressing.
- Serve warm or chilled (both ways are delish!).